Temporary to Permanent Vacancy –
Worcester Action for Youth (CIO)
(Posted September 17th 2018)
Downloadable forms about this job
- WAY-Manager-Application-Form Sept 18
- Manager Person Specification Sept 18
- Manager Advert Sept 2018 1
- JOB DESCRIPTION
Post Title: Part Time Manager
Hours: 15 hours per week/ 3 days per week
Rate of Pay: £12.95 per hour
Based: Medway Community Centre, 16 Medway Road, Worcester. WR5 1LN
The Trustees of WAY (CIO) are looking to appoint an enthusiastic, energetic and highly motivated Manager to lead and develop the Worcester based young people’s Charity.
WAY (CIO) provides, through a Directory of skilled Activity Workers, a range of pursuits in youth organisations across the city.
The Manager will lead the organisation and in partnership with youth organisations develop and coordinate planned activities that widen learning opportunities for young people.
The successful applicant will require an enhanced DBS check.
Completed application forms will only be accepted by post or email.
Telephone the office 01905 350550 Tuesdays and Thursdays 10am – 2pm
Closing Date: 10am on 24th September 2018
Proposed Interview date: Tuesday 9th October 2018
Job Title: Manager
Post Responsible to: Chairman
Role: To work in partnership with youth organisations and young people across Worcester City to develop and co-ordinate enhanced activities that widen learning opportunities for young people.
- To recruit, train and manage the Activity Worker team, Activity Evaluator, Office Administrator, Medway Youth Club team and other members of staff as required.
- To establish and maintain relationships with youth groups working with young people in the City of Worcester.
- Respond creatively to requests for activities from young people and Youth Groups.
- Maintain existing funding and sourcing additional funding from organisations supportive of WAY (CIO).
- Work in partnership with young people, youth workers and Activity Workers including Activity Evaluator towards evaluating and improving provision of activities and the overall delivery of the service.
- Co-ordinate all WAY (CIO) activity sessions, WAY Ahead Short Courses, workshops and activity days based on multiples of activity sessions, at youth group venues around the City.
- Support the Youth Leader in the development and running of Medway Youth Club.
- To enhance the facility, use and resources available at Medway Community Centre for the benefit of the inhabitants of Worcester city and the surrounding areas.
- To update and maintain the website.
- To attend appropriate meetings as a representative of WAY (CIO).
- To attend relevant courses and seminars.
- To attend WAY (CIO) Management Committee meetings and produce a Manager’s report for the Committee and an Annual Report.
- To initiate new procedures and cascade appropriate information to all staff and/or youth groups in response to policy amendments made by Trustees, including updating staff with child protection/safeguarding children, health and safety and risk assessment procedures.
- Produce a termly Directory of Activity Workers and other promotional material including the maintenance of the WAY (CIO) website.
- Carry out identification checks for DBS forms of new and existing staff members.
- Carry out any other duties as required by the Management Committee as appropriate.
- To agree, with the Chairperson short-term objectives which support the Service Plan and provide regular reports to the Trustee’s.
- Lead on safeguarding issues and respond appropriately to any concerns raised.
- The post requires regular contact with under 18s in a non-supervisory role.
- The post involves carrying out risk assessments on activities/facilities relating to young people’s events.
Health & Safety:
- To be responsible for the safety, health and welfare of all the workforce supervised in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, related legislation.
The above is a description of the job as it is at present constituted and is therefore subject to review and updating from time to time. It is WAY (CIO)’s policy to consult the employee and to aim to reach agreement on amendments but, nevertheless, the right to make any reasonable changes is reserved.
Date Job Description reviewed: 08/06/2017
WAY (CIO) Manager Person Specification
- Experience of managing a team. ESSENTIAL
- Experience of managing community/ youth projects ESSENTIAL
- Experience of managing a charity organisation or working in the sector DESIRABLE
- Experience in fundraising ESSENTIAL
- Experience in book keeping and managing a budget ESSENTIAL
- Experience in building relationships with partners, funders and service users ESSENTIAL
- Ability to steer an organisation and respond to change DESIRABLE
- Experience of supporting, advising and responding to trustees DESIRABLE
- Knowledge of the City of Worcester DESIRABLE
Skills (All Essential)
- Effective communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Organisational Skills
- Report writing
- IT skills
Knowledge (All Essential)
- Understand Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety, risk assessment and Child Safeguarding issues
- Youth Work practice
- How to write and prepare a funding application
- Educated to degree level. DESIRABLE
- JNC Youth, Play & Community Work or equivalent. DESIRABLE
Requirements (All Essential)
- Positive attitudes towards young people
- Own transport and valid driving license
- The successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced DBS check
ALL these details and the job application form are available to download from the top of this page or in the “Download forms here” section on the home page…
Activity Worker Positions
Do you have an interest or hobby or skill that you can share with young people?
We are always looking for people with specialist skills who can share their knowledge and enthusiasm with young people. Our present team of people have skills in the following areas: dance, drama, art & craft, photography, DJing, music production, performance poetry, beauty therapy, outdoor pursuits, sport. We ask for some experience of working with young people, but qualifications are not essential. What is needed is a genuine desire to offer young people the chance to grow through activities that challenge them creatively and imaginatively. We are always looking for people that can deliver good quality art & craft activities, but if you have something different to offer please do get in touch. Work can only be offered on a casual basis, dependent upon the activity and the demand from youth clubs. All successful applicants will be DBS checked by us.
1.5 hour Session rate: £25 plus holiday pay
Travel expenses: 45p per mile (up to 9 miles)
Materials expenses: per session £12
Please contact WAY: 01905 350550
Or download an application form and send it to www.wayworcester.orgorg
Job Title: Activity Worker
Salary: £25.00 per session (minimum 90 minutes)
Job Purpose: To enable Young People aged 11-16 yrs to experience new activities and learn new skills. To promote positive behaviours, social development and creativity through the activity.
Post Responsible to: Manager Duties/Responsibilities and Key Tasks
- Prepare for the Session and bring all relevant equipment and/or materials to the Venue.
- Run an Activity Session for 11-16 year olds lasting a minimum of 90 minutes.
- Be responsible for any WAY equipment.
- Clear up after session.
- Notify Manager and Youth Venue if a session is cancelled by either party.
- Complete a Sessional Activity Record Sheet for each session with names of young people attending and complete the Session Evaluation.
- Notify WAY Office of any problems or suggestions arising from the session
- Complete a monthly Time Sheet.
- Complete a monthly Travel Claim and Material Expenses Claim if applicable.
- Submit all paper work to Administrator by monthly deadline.
- Provide the Manager with regular details of availability (evenings, weekends and school holidays).
- Be flexible and prepared to work in different venues throughout Worcester.
- Be aware of Safeguarding & Child Protection issues and report any concerns to the Manager.
- Be aware of Heath and Safety regulations.
- Complete Risk Assessment forms for all activities conducted.
- Report any problems/issues to the Manager.
- Enjoy working with Young People who may be from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Child Protection: The post requires regular contact with under 18s in a non-supervisory role The post involves carrying out risk assessments on activities/facilities relating to young peoples events Health and Safety: To be responsible for the safety, health and welfare of all the workforce in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, related legislation. Reviewed June 2009